Backend Developer (AWS)
Come to work in a fantastic green tech team in Oxford
Our company is Trust Power, we are part of the Low Carbon group of companies, founded on the principle of making a lasting impact on climate change. Trust Power’s goal is to engage household consumers in their use of energy, prompt behavioural change and present renewable alternatives, in so doing reducing their carbon footprint and energy spend.
For energy customers, Trust Power delivers immersive, personal energy usage data, technology and advice; enabling customers to make informed, cost-effective usage decisions to lower their energy consumption and bills. Trust Power’s first product to be launched is called Loop (see https://loop.homes) – an energy-saving assistant facilitating easy switching of energy tariffs and tracking energy usage and costs to help customers use less.
We use a wide variety of software technologies and we host our service components through extensive use of managed Amazon Web Services (AWS). We build iOS and Android apps using React Native and web apps with React. These work with smart meter devices that stream usage data to our cloud platform. We have big ambitions to grow and an exciting roadmap planned, so we're looking for engineers to make all the stuff happen!
We are a friendly team with a family feel, with our HQ right in the heart of Oxford - a stone's throw from the new Westgate Centre. We have secure bike storage, a newly refurbished swanky office; kitchen area with all mod-cons.
You will have had experience working on scalable AWS cloud based projects, and a track record of delivering fit-for-purpose and robust systems. You will be passionate about software as well as the renewables sector and will be keen to use your skills employed to make lasting changes to climate change through lowering domestic energy consumption.
In short, we're looking for really solid engineers; constructive and thoughtful, with a smart, professional attitude and fantastic collaboration skills.
Our package is competitive and we are keen to hold out for and attract the best candidates. If this is all you and you're looking for your next step, please get in touch.
The Role Requirements
You will report to the Principal Engineer and be a key member of the team, your responsibilities will be varied and you will be involved on a day-to-day basis in numerous aspects of our software development including:
- Key responsibilities:
- Design, architecture, and end-to-end delivery of software components
- Systems engineering:
- System design of new (or refactored) functionality
- Writing AWS software components and API development
- Refactoring code to support scalability
- Adhere to and promote best industry standards
- Development of unit and integration testing
- Documenting solution design, presenting work and peer review
- Delivery / Lifecycle:
- Helping to build and maintain DevOps, CI software pipeline, monitoring and alerting infrastructure
- Work closely with QA/DevOps team to resolve problems and deploy software
- Technical support, fault investigation and third line support
- Planning & estimating:
- Contributing to regular planning sessions, time estimation, daily standup meetings and process review (agile/scrum)
Core Skills and Experience Required
- AWS serverless architecture
- Java / Python
- Git / GitHub
- Ability to work in an complex established codebase
- Good communicator
And experience in any of the following would be advantageous:
- RESTful architectures
- Knowledge of microservices/scalable architecture
- Swagger / OpenAPI
- AWS; Lambda, ECS, DynamoDB, S3, API Gateway, Batch, Step Functions, EventBridge, Cognito, IAM, Athena
- Monitoring: Cloudwatch Metrics / Datadog
- Infrastructure as Code: Terraform
- API validation/testing: Postman
- CI/CD platform: Circle CI
Our office is based in the centre of Oxford, 10 minutes walk from the train station and a 10 minute cycle from multiple park and ride sites. This role is open to office and hybrid working.