Software Engineering Manager (Hands-On)
We are looking to hire a hands-on engineering manager who will be responsible for line management of a group of around 5 engineers at different levels, as well as writing code.
As an Engineering Manager and part of the engineering team at Overleaf, you will be helping to make Overleaf the go-to place for scientific writing by both inspiring your engineers to do their best work, and making your own contributions directly to the platform.
As a manager you will:
- Hold regular 1:1s with your engineers
- Be responsible for their career progression and development
- Provide coaching and point them at relevant training when needed
- Advocate for them during planning to ensure they get assigned to the right projects
- Provide constructive feedback and manage performance issues where necessary
- Input into the decision-making process when choosing which projects and features to work on
- Sit on hiring panels
As a member of the engineering team you will:
- Review pull requests from other engineers
- Take on a tech-lead role for individual projects and features, when appropriate
Key projects on our road map this year include:
- Consolidate our two project history systems — we currently have two from our integration with ShareLaTeX in 2017, each with hundreds of TB to be consolidated
- Make our project PDF preview faster and less bandwidth-hungry — we have prototypes showing big wins that now need getting ready for production
In the longer term, we are planning projects around improved collaboration features for teams, improvements to our rich text mode to help non-LaTeX users, and more.
Please see https://apply.workable.com/overleaf/j/5BE7E0FE2F/ for further particulars.