With the current situation around Covid-19, the community is primarily hanging out in our Slack workspace. In-person events will slowly make their way back in 2022.
Slack is an online messaging tool, like Telegram, WhatsApp, or Signal, but generally used by communities focused on a specific theme. For us that's technology and Oxfordshire.
We’re a friendly community whether you are a freelancer, a full-timer, or just a fan of all things digital. From languages and local tech events, to cats and book club, there is a channel for you to find like-minded people. And if not, you can start one!
Go to our Slack sign-up page and follow the instructions. Ignore the bit about "work email", any email address will do. That's some Slack specific language we can't change.
Although you can use Slack via a browser, we do recommend downloading a native Slack client for your chosen platform.
If you're new to Slack, their Getting Started with Slack guide is worth reading.
Once you're signed up you'll be added to a few default channels:
- #general: Day to day code / business / technology / Oxfordshire chat.
- #random: Anything and everything (but see the community rules below).
- #events: Things happening around Oxfordshire.
There are many other channels for all kinds of interests, so have a look around and say hello.
We're an extremely friendly bunch, but we ask that you follow a few rules.
Code of conduct
Read, understand, and follow our Code of Conduct.
There is no advertising allowed in any of the channels. By advertising we mean no unsolicited messages for your latest service or offering.
Exceptions to this are:
- Job posts: You can post positions in the #jobs channel, or sign-up for the jobs board.
- Events: Events can be posted in the #events channel.
- Personal projects: Built something cool you want to show-off or get feedback for? Then we have a #show-and-tell channel just for that purpose.
- Commercial projects: If you're a company or individual that wants to highlight a new commercial "thing", solicit feedback, or get a discussion going, we have the #infomercial channel.
Digital Oxford Administrators
If you experience any issues, please reach out to one of the Digital Oxford administrators: